Building Division Department Home

Permit Application - Contractor

Please review the following checklists for accepting permit applications:


Additional Information

Why do I need this permit?
A building permit is needed for all new construction. A permit is also required for replacement of existing construction, additions, remodeling, or other improvements such as new or replacement decks, storage sheds and fences (link to planning permit for fences). In addition, the demolition and relocation of buildings require building permits. Building permits are the way the City of Petaluma regulates construction to ensure that it is safe for occupancy or use. This is done through the review of plans and periodic inspections to verify compliance with the California Building Code and local regulations.

Can I apply online for a permit?

You may apply online for the following permits:

  • Residential Re-Roof
  • Residential Mechanical/Furnace/A/C
  • Residential Electric
  • Residential Temp Electric Power (For Construction)
  • Commercial Temp Electric Power (For Construction)
  • Residential Plumbing/water Heater

The first time you use our online system you will have to sign up as a Registered User to get access to most of our online services, like applying for a permit. You will be able to pay online via credit card and receive your permit by email once it has been issued.


How do I obtain this permit?
The City of Petaluma accepts and issues permits at the Building Department at 11 English Street, 8 a.m. through 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday or by appointment. Some permits can be issued over the counter, while others may require that plans are left for review. Once the plans are approved by the City, the permit can be issued.

What are the fees associated with this permit?
Fees are based upon the construction cost of the work being done. Building permit fees usually run about 4% of the total construction cost. For more fees information, please contact the Community Development Department at (707) 778-4302, or see our online plan check fee spreadsheet for plan check submittals.

What do I do once I obtain this permit?
Once a building permit has been issued, the contractor or property owner can begin the work that is proposed on the permit. Inspections will need to be scheduled on a regular basis in order to keep the permit valid. A permit is valid for 180 days from the date of issuance or the date of last inspection.

Contact Information

11 English St.
Petaluma, CA 94952
phone: 707.778.4301
fax: 707.778.4498

phone: 707.778.4301

Hours: 8am - 4pm
Monday through Thursday – Closed every Friday

phone: 707.778.4470

Hours: 8am - 5pm
Mondays through Thursdays, Closed Fridays

Contact a Planner

Planning Commission Meetings