Public Works Department Home

Traffic Engineering


Encroachment Permits
Effective September 2, 2014
The counter to apply for encroachment permits is open the following days and hours:
Monday - Thursday at 11 English St.
8:00 am to 12:00 pm
or call 707-778-4303 press option 6 for permit questions and applications
or call 707-778-4303 press option 7 for permit inspections
You may also apply online (link)


Reporting Traffic Concerns

You may call us at 707-778-4303 to report a concern, or fill out the Operations Service Form. Please include your name, address, and phone number. When reporting a signal malfunction, be sure to indicate the intersection, the direction in which the malfunction occurs, and the time of day it was experienced.


Cal Trans operates Highway 101 on-ramp and off-ramp signal: 
US 101 at Petaluma Blvd S
US 101 at Highway 116/Lakeville Hwy
US 101 at E Washington Blvd
US 101 at Old Redwood Highway

To report a problem with a Cal Trans traffic signal call (415) 330-6500


Traffic Calming

Where speeding is an issue, various traffic calming measures, including roundabouts, provide a viable alternative to stop signs. A number of devices are currently under consideration by City engineers. These, as with undulations, signing and striping changes, all require studies before implementation is approved.


All parking permits are issued through the Finance Department, including the following:

  • A certain number of parking permits/spaces in the ‘A’ Street and Keller Street parking facilities are available for reserved parking.
  • Temporary construction parking permits are issued for a fee and a maximum of thirty days at a time, after which they may be renewed.
  • Residential parking permits may be issued for areas where “Permit Only” restrictions are in effect, or as designated by City Council.
Bicycling and Walking Resources

A list of resources for bicycling and walking in and around Petaluma.

Flashing Yellow Left Turn Signal

In an effort to reduce these types of collisions, the City of Petaluma will replace the solid green light protected/permissive signal with a flashing yellow arrow signal at 13 intersections



Contact Information

11 English Street
Petaluma, CA 94952
phone: 707.778.4303
fax: 707.206.6034
Hours: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Monday - Thursday

Director, Public Works and Utilities
Dan St. John, F.ASCE
202 N. McDowell Blvd
Petaluma, CA 94954
Phone: 707.778.4546
Fax: 707.206.6034

Assistant Director, Public Works and Utilities
Jason Beatty
202 N. McDowell Blvd
Petaluma, CA 94954
Phone: 707.778.4514
Fax: 707.206.6034

City Engineer/Flood Plain Administrator
Gina Benedetti-Petnic, C.E.
11 English St
Petaluma, CA 94952
phone: 707.778.4311

Airport & Marina Manager
Joshua McKeighan
601 Sky Ranch Drive
Petaluma, CA 94954
phone: 707.778.4404
fax: 707.778.4405

Transit Manager, Jared Hall
555 North McDowell Blvd
Petaluma, CA 94954
phone: 707.778.4460
fax: 707.776.3799

Traffic Engineering
Quick Links